Friday, June 6, 2014

A Castle in Bouillon, Belgium!

We left the Mercure on Saturday at a decently early hour to check out and head back to Antwerp. I'm going to miss that 5 star breakfast every morning, those fresh croissants were heavenly. Anyways, I have absolutely no idea as to how long we were on our bus before we hit Bouillon, Belgium. I believe it was approximately 2.5 hours but I was in a deep sleep and loving it. 

When I woke up, I was greeted by a quite lovely view.





We started our pitstop in Bouillon with an archeoscope video. I have no idea if that's what it was officially called but I just know that's what was on our itinerary and I know I didn't like it. There were things coming from the floors, walls, ceilings there were holograms, room changes and very uncomfortable seats and greasy headphones. No thanks, Bouillon. 
Despite the grimy video (I guess you'd call it?) we learned background on the castle on the hill that we were about to visit that belonged to Godfreid of Bouillon who eventually sold the castle to go on the first crusade. 

Entering into the castle



The torture chamber. MWAHAHAHA


The hawks








The view from above



Bouillon is a gorgeous little town and if I ever do come back to Belgium it is on my list of places to visit. Although it is quaint it has a lot of rivers and a very active outdoors scene with a lot of hiking and kayaking. It would be a great weekend trip if you have the gear, and are in Europe of course. 










Back on the ground we ate lunch at "Burger Route 66". It was fantastic despite having to pay for ketchup, which will never go over well with me. Fries were the best I've had so far and I will always enjoy a good fry fork. 


The river through Bouillon had paddle boats and we all regretted not eating quickly enough to hop on one.





Getting back on the bus and heading to good ole Antwerpen.

That night the guys were insistent on going to the all-you-can-eat ribs restaurant. I slowly enjoyed my half rack of ribs while the guys kept pounding them and I can say that I'm sure Amadeus did not enjoy our attendance that night. Way to work, guys.


From there we walked over to one of the bridges and looked out over the water. It was a great shot of Antwerp and we caught it at the perfect time.


We hit the Karaoke bar for the last night of the trip and John and I killed it on Allstar. 
Such a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment