Monday, May 19, 2014

A Day in Gent

On Saturday we got on the bus at 8:00 am and headed to Gent, Belgium. It was about a 30 minute bus ride and I enjoyed seeing the countryside. I didn't realize how flat the countries were. This is due to the fact that they are all below sea-level, hence the "low countries".

We only had one site visit in Gent and it was Saint Bavo's Cathedral. This was one of the site visits I was looking forward to the most because it contains the Ghent Altarpiece!


Looking out from the front of the church across the square. 

The church had signs that said no photography so I didn't take my camera out until the end and I was trying to be sneaky with my phone. Sorry again for the quality.


The Cathedral was a combination of two different styles of architecture, Renaissance and Baroque. 




Elephant tusk paschal candle.


Looking down the stairs into the crypt.



Painting by Rubens.






The ceiling of the church. I was having difficulties rotating the photo.



We went to see the Ghent altarpiece but there were strictly no cameras allowed. I could have spent a whole day looking at the painting. I think that it is by far the most impressive painting I have ever seen. Photographs don't do it justice, the sheer size can take your breath away. Will would have loved it. We'll go back together one day and see it. 

After Bravo's Cathedral our guide took us on a tour around the city. I love the quaint nature of Gent. It is a much more laid back city than Antwerp is and much less urbanized. 




This was a pavilion in the middle of the city. When we were going into the Cathedral there was a group of children taking a fencing lesson under it and when we got out there was a quartet playing. 
Europe, you're pretty cool.




The building across the square was built for the World Fair in the early 1900s. 





St. Michael's Church I believe? The guide only mentioned the name but didn't explain the history to us.


Looking back from the top of the bridge towards the Cathedral.


Looking down towards the Lys River. 



Can't believe this photo was taken from my camera. Unbelievable.





Obligatory selfie.


Looking back towards the bridge.










After the walking tour we were on our own for lunch. We walked over to a small store that was across the street from the Cathedral. I ordered the Croque Monsier which is on almost every lunch menu I've seen. 


Haley, Becca and I walked around the city back towards the shops. They tried these "noses" (what the Antwerp professor called them) that are a Gent specialty. They are a sugar casing with raspberry and cherry filling. They were very sweet and our professor bought us all some to try on the bus ride to Bruges. 



From here we walked back to the bus to take the ride to Bruges.



Emily



No comments:

Post a Comment